5-year-old girl dangles from chairlift as mom watches in horror; video report

5-year-old girl dangles from chairlift as mom watches in horror; video report

Outdoors

5-year-old girl dangles from chairlift as mom watches in horror; video report

Girl dangles from a ski lift as ski instructor holds on. Photo is a screen grab.

A 5-year-old girl lost consciousness as a ski instructor held on to her by the hoodie after she slipped off a chairlift and was left dangling as her mother watched in horror at a Southern California ski resort.

The girl and her 7-year-old sister were getting ski lessons and were riding a chairlift with the instructor at Bear Mountain Ski Resort in Big Bear Lake when the incident occurred Saturday, according to KABC in Los Angeles. The girls’ mother was three chairs ahead.

“I kept hearing people screaming and yelling,” the mother told KABC while choking up. “I turned back and [saw] Sara dangling from the chairlift and she was there and she was just dangling and I couldn’t do anything about it.”

Staff members got a tarp and held it underneath allowing the ski instructor to let go of Sara, who dropped safely into the tarp, as video of the incident showed in KABC’s report:

Sara passed out from being choked by her helmet and hoodie. The mother, who didn’t want to be identified, said the rescuers were prepared to perform CPR but that Sara regained consciousness.

Sara didn’t sustain any serious injuries, but she had bruising on her neck and legs. Her father told KABC the ski instructor was a hero because it could’ve been much worse.

The mother told KABC that it appeared that the lift operator failed to stop the lift until the screams got the operator’s attention.

Also on BNQT Outdoors: Eerie swim at renowned Bali dive site reveals alarming extent of plastic pollution; video

Two safety issues were raised afterward: The safety bar was inexplicably left up once the trio boarded the chairlift, and the icy seats weren’t properly cleaned off from overnight moisture, making them slippery.

Bear Mountain is investigating the incident, saying in a statement, “We take every precaution to ensure the safety of our guests. We are looking into this incident and will do everything we can to prevent something like this from happening again.”

Follow David Strege and BNQT Outdoors on Facebook  and Twitter

The Latest

reply
3d

A hunter facing a life-or-death situation was saved by a chance encounter with a cross country team Wednesday after being lost in the wilderness of New Mexico for 36 hours without food or shelter, and enduring freezing temperatures. “The odds were very much against (…)

reply
4d

Many athletes and professionals do not realize that the true way to gain strength is through a balance of training and relaxation. There are plenty of people that forget the latter step in this balancing act; however, the place that has it right and practices it on a daily (…)

reply
4d

You have seen them on the athletes and you have been waiting for this day for years. Today, action sports entertainment leader Nitro Circus announced that they are teaming up with world-renowned helmet brand Bell to add more flavor to two of Bell’s most popular bike and skate (…)

reply
4d

As they approached the tee box on a par 3 hole on a course in Florida, Sage Stryczny and his father noticed a major hazard on the green, one with a big bite. A huge alligator known as Chubbs was resting on the green Saturday as it made its way from one pond to (…)

reply
4d

Jimmy Badong, a kayak fisherman from Guam, became bored with catching the “regular fish” he typically catches, so on Tuesday he dropped his lure 1,800 feet to see if anything would bite. The result was astonishing as Badong, who was fishing three miles off southern Guam, (…)

More BNQT
Home